Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Picture Update

We have had so much going on that I cannot keep up!  Time is just zooming past me and try as I may, I can't seem to slow it down. So...I will update in pictures! :)

I had almost forgotten about this first event until I went searching for pictures of some of our house updates.  April 1st...yes, April Fool's Day...I was getting ready for a date night with my main squeeze that had already been postponed two weeks prior when the kids all got sick.  I was standing at my dresser in my bedroom picking out earrings with my back to the bed and Squeaky D and Gokey were both giggling and lying there.  They weren't being particularly rambunctious or anything, but I heard a small bounce on the bed and then one of those gut-wrenching, sickening thuds.  I turned around to find Gokey on his feet and stumbling toward me with his hand over his brow.  I exclaimed how loud that was and asked him what he hit.  He apparently had launched off of the bed and smacked his head right into a space heater that was 5 or 6 feet from the bed.  It's not a very aggressive appliance...it has nice curved edges and had never bitten before, but I guess this time it had had enough.  

I peeled his hand away from his forehead and expected to find a big ol' bump as is normal to find on Gokey's head, but instead discovered a gash that ran the length of his eyebrow and could see the gray muscle that would normally not be visible on someone's head.  I maybe didn't handle it so well, since I was totally unprepared for such a grisly discovery.  I stuck his hand back over it and started  saying something like, "oh no...not good.  Really not good."  This was met with panic from Gokey, "WHAT, MOM???  JUST TELL ME!  WHAT IS IT???????"  I rushed him into the bathroom, grabbed a wash cloth, stuck it over his eyebrow and shuffled him downstairs yelling for J.  Upon examination by Dad, we quickly determined that he needed to go to the ER.  Keep in mind, this was about 4:20 on a night when our date was supposed to begin around 5:15.

After they left, I texted my aunt (the intended babysitter), mom and sister to let them know what was up, but mentioned that if the ER was quick enough, we would still be up for a delayed date night if Nana was still up for it.  Turns out she was up for it and the ER was super fast.  Seven stitches and less than an our later he was out of there.  J returned with him, I showed Nana where the ibuprofen was and we ran as fast as we could.  Later, when we got home, she joked with us about how 8 years ago we would have immediately cancelled our date and hovered over our injured child.  Now we race him to the hospital, get him stitched up, dump him at home and then escape as fast as possible before another injury occurs.  My, how time (and a few extra kids) changes things!

Waiting at the hospital

Couldn't resist the gruesome mid-stitch pic!

All fixed up!
Progression from immediately after returning home from the hospital in the upper left corner to stitches out a week
later in the bottom right pic.  There were lots of colors and a ton of swelling, but it looks so good now!
J and Jilly Bean got to experience their very first Daddy Daughter Dance  and it was quite the event!  J even painted Jilly's nails for her...what a guy!  I'm pretty sure he will be the only first date she ever has that does that. They exchanged flowers, posed for pictures and then J took her to her favorite Chinese buffet for dinner followed by the dance.  Sounds like they all had a great time.

Such a gentleman!

Have you ever seen a more beautiful couple?

Pam Weaver Photography took pictures at the event
Next up...Gokey turned 8!  He is my Cinco de Mayo baby so he decided to have a taco bar with a few friends followed by strawberry shortcake.  It was a beautiful day and it was the perfect occasion to break our new patio in (details in the next post).
I love this age...they are so fun to just listen in on.

He said he wanted strawberry shortcake and I delivered and his brother was on
standby to deliver the bunny ears.

Gokey insisted on bobbing for apples...any excuse to get drenched!

Got it!
The big kids had their last day of school on Friday.  Squeaky D finished up preschool the first week of May, so he's been in summer mode for a while already.  I am still shocked that this school year is over with, but summer is my favorite time and I love having everyone home...mostly.  There is still a lot of working out of the new hierarchy to be done now that they are spending 24/7 together.  I find myself praying for patience for a good part of my day already!

Ella Forever insisted on getting in on the last day pics.  Poor
Jilly Bean woke up puking at 4:30 that morning, so she had
to stay home from school on the LAST day.  What a bummer!

Poor sick girl who wasn't actually sick...she was fine the whole rest of the day

Gokey...why does he suddenly look so grown?

And this one...only one more year of elementary school!

The obligatory silly pic

No comments:

Post a Comment