Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's Snow Fun!

For ONCE our predictions of snow have actually come through!  In fact, we have actually gotten more than the initial forecasts predicted.  After an exceptionally dry year, we'll take it.  Our kids have actually never really experienced more than an inch or two at a time and even then, flurries have been few and far between.

We woke up yesterday morning with promises of snow, but as X-man and Gokey dashed to the front window upon rising, there was nothing but clouds and expanses of dry, brown thirsty yards laying in view.  It was right around 8 a.m. while plodding through the house trying to get all of the kids dressed, fed and wrestled into shoes and socks, pleading for beds to be made and teeth to be brushed that Gokey yelled out with sheer delight, "IT'S SNOWING!"  Sure enough, the snow had started!  We piled into the van and headed to the zoo to drop X-man at pre-school and in the short 10 minute drive amongst bewildered Kansas drivers who were already appearing to be very overwhelmed, I had made the decision to not trek all the way back home after our drop-off.  We deposited X-man at school, piled back into the van and then stopped for a quick snack along the way and then killed some time at Hobby Lobby (great place for killin' time).  We arrived back at the zoo in time for dismissal, had one of the other dear parents heading in to pick up their preschooler offer to snag X-man as well (to which we were much obliged), the snow-covered little boy piled into the van and into his seat and we were on our way.  The 10 minute trip turned into a 25 minute trip, but we made it safely and there was already a good few inches on the ground at this point.

X-man had no idea riding bikes in the snow may be difficult!

Somehow I was able to convince the kids we should wait until Daddy was on his way home from work to go out and play in the fluff and play we did!  The big boys and Jilly got their first lesson in Snowman Construction 101 while Squeaky D snoozed the fun away and Daddy arrived just in time to shovel the driveway! :)

Mr. Cool...cold edition

Our evening went along uneventfully and we nestled into our warm beds for the night.  It was about 5 a.m. that I woke up in the guest bed, having migrated there in the middle of the night to feed Declan and then never being able to rouse myself enough to migrate back again.  I was snuggled up with him and he was nursing...again...and as I closed my eyes there was a piercing flash of light.  Initially, I thought I must have imagined it or was on the edge of dreaming it, but then there was a window-rattling boom and rumble that chased it.  Thundersnow!  Very odd, but apparently, according to J, I had been sleeping through it since about 3 a.m.  We both were obviously done sleeping at that point so we got up and around while the kidlins snoozed (Gokey had sought protection from the thundersnow in my place in our bed shortly before I awoke to it).  J headed out the door for work, only to reappear moments later.  Another 5 inches in the driveway on top of the 5 we cleared the evening before and no evidence of any clearing of streets convinced him he should take a snow day.  Instead of work, he began to a relaxing start.  X-man was up at 6 a.m. and immediately begging to help his dad with the shoveling, to which I bundled him up and sent him out.  He was in a while later, sat down for some breakfast, Gokey joined him and then they both bundled up and headed out and Jilly was right behind them.  By 8:30, J was FINALLY done shoveling the driveway (yes it took him 2 hours...lots of snow and a big driveway) and we ALL went out to check out the snow fort he constructed for the boys.  Around 10, they all decided they needed to put their print on the pristine snow in the backyard.  Lunch, then naps then back out into the back around 2 pm and again for a final time in the front (so mom could shovel...again) at 4:30.  SIX times coats, hats, mittens, dry pants and socks were put on each kid and SIX times coats, hats, mittens, wet pants and socks were taken off and thrown into the dryer to be prepped for the next trip out.

Supervising from behind the glass door (he was
laughing at Stella)

I can't neglect to mention that despite the fact that J dutifully spent 2 hours shoveling the driveway this morning, he then spent the rest of the day tiling one of our upstairs bathrooms and all that's left to be done there is the grout work.  How did I manage to snag such a catch?

All in all...a great day, and hopefully we will all sleep peacefully tonight...just to turn around and do it all again tomorrow!  School has already been cancelled, so more fun in store.  Too bad J will have to make it in to work tomorrow...I'm sure I could find some more tiling to be done (love you, honey). :)


  1. hi teesh, it's rach!! i love the new look to the blog!! and i LLLLOOOVVVVEEEEDDDD the videos!!! so sweet. and i was so happy to hear your voice!!! how i miss you. what a beautiful, snowy family you have. :)

    1. Awwww...Yay!!!! Glad you LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEEDDDD them! :) I miss you too, darn it! If only we could just click our heels...